Share The Season With Others
Share the Season is no longer accepting applications for the 2012 year, so that we have time to process the applications already submitted. There are other agencies and programs that may be able to help you. Contact the United Way help line at 211 to find out what might be available.
During the holiday season one of the best ways to help people in need is through the Share the Season Program. Now in its 13th year, Share the Season is a joint effort of The Salvation Army, The Wichita Eagle and the Wichita Community Foundation.
A few quick facts about Share the Season (STS):
- STS is a special program providing help and hope to the working poor during the holiday season.
- Families who do not qualify for other indigent programs apply for assistance and are screened carefully by the Salvation Army personnel.
- Each family can receive one time assistance for needs such as utilities, food, paying medical bills, etc.
- Payments are made directly to vendors, such as the bank, utility company, the doctor.
- Each dollar donated by the public is gifted 100% back to those in need in the community.
- Last year, the people of Wichita donated over $216,000.
- 251 local families received help in 2011.
- Collaborative effort of the Wichita Community Foundation, The Wichita Eagle and the Salvation Army.
- Best way possible to get charitable donations directly to those in need.
- Last year, every family that applied for STS assistance and qualified was helped.
- Wichita Eagle donates ad space and runs daily stories on families in need.
- The Salvation Army carefully screens applicants and verifies needs and each family can only be helped once.
- The Wichita Community Foundation handles all donations and issues receipts to all who contribute.
- STS works in the best possible way, reaching those in need and encouraging our community to be charitable.
- Program began in 2000, raising $72,069.59 and helping 100 families the first year.
- Total, 2,494 families have been helped with $2,005,758.19 in donated funds since its inception!